Persuasive Essay Guides & Overview
Opinion Essay Checklist
- Is there an interesting hook?
- Is there a clear, strong thesis statement?(By the end of the first paragraph, do you know who is be persuaded of what and do you care?)
- Are there are least three supporting arguments or reasons supporting the thesis statement?
- Does the essay address at least one counter argument?
- Would this essay help persuade you to agree with the author?
- Is the fourth wall broken?
Starting with a Hook
Former Student Examples
- There is a woman who accidentally got pregnant.
- A five years old child was playing in front of her house with her mother. Suddenly the tragedy happened
- ‘Language is a weapon’. I've always believe this.
Don’t tell the reader that you’re going to tell them something - just tell them!
Examples of things to avoid:
- In my opinion, I support the legalization of same sex marriage
> Same sex marriage should be legalized
- In this essay, I will handle that a couple who has cohabitated has more benefits than a couple who have never lived with each other.
> A couple that has cohabitated has more benefits than a couple who has never lived with each other.
- My statement is that death penalty must be exist and it’s effective.
> The death penalty must exist and is effective.
- Personally, I strongly believe euthanasia should be legalized. I have three reasons for my argument.
> There are three reasons euthanasia should be legalized.
- Then I claim that couple should live together at least 6 months before they get marry. >A couple should live together 6 months before getting married.
- How to Write an Opinion Essay
- Writing Opinion Essays
- Argumentative Essays
- Hooks: Writing the Hook, 13 Examples Hooks & Attention Grabbers